Saturday, September 27, 2008

Fireproof - the movie

Wednesday night at youth we asked what the church is supposed to be. I assigned one element of church to a youth or group of youth and asked them to convince the rest of us that their element was the most important. So for most of our time together we heard about why witness, support, instruction, fellowship, worship and service are important to the church being the church. If you are reading this now, I would like to know your thoughts.

Whether or not it is the most important, I cannot say, but fellowship is important. So tonight a group of us went to a movie and then dinner. Part of our LEGS (Let's Enjoy God's Spirit) group checked out Fireproof. You may know that this movie is the latest release from the people who brought us Facing the Giants. This time they have a professional actor - one with a name many recognize - Kirk Cameron. Otherwise, the acting is pretty much like that in Facing the Giants. That is really the first thing you notice about the movie - low budget, weak acting skills. But the movie is actually pretty good. There are some very funny characters. There is action. (dramatic rescues). And then of course there is the love story. Even my cold hearted self started to tear up. I might have actually cried until I got tickled at the synchronized sniffling of all of the other women (and some men) in the theatre. But then I don't think my neighbors appreciated my laughing at this tear-jerking part.

One thing the movie made me think about was that whether it is in a marriage or in a church, our selfishness creates a multitude of problems. Clear communication and caring are important in any relationship. If we are only concerned with our own agenda and what feels good to us at the time, we will continue to have problems. try listening to others. pay attention. And pray.

I leave you to swirl those thoughts in your brain. I am tired.

No comments: