Tuesday, October 14, 2008

my mother always said be careful what you say

Be careful what you say because you never know to whom you are talking. My mother always warned that it is a small world. The older I get the more I know my mother is right about a lot of things.

Being on a church staff means people will talk about you. Sometimes it is good; sometimes bad. People think nothing of sharing their opinions of politicians, football coaches and preachers. They do not consider this gossip. It is simply something we do. So I am quite used to being the subject of conversation among members of the churches I have served.

First let me admit that the most recent criticisms about me really can be traced back to a careless statement I made. I made an enemy at the church when I gave my opinion of Sarah Palin. And since then it has gone down hill. I can do no right.

Recently, a group gathered at the church for a social event. The group had two people present who do not normally attend. One happened to be the person who was offended by my Palin comments. Apparently at some time during their time together, the conversation turned to me. My critic shared her less than flattering opinion of me. I am not sure how many of the others chimed in. I am not sure if anyone pointed out any of my positive characteristics. All that was reported to me was that there quite a bit of Donna-bashing. Apparently it was not until the other non-regular attender was leaving that she shared with someone that she was related to me. Yes folks - you read correctly. All of the Donna-bashing occurred in front of a visitor who happens to be in my family.

Now, I do not fault the group for talking about me. I have been guilty of sitting with friends talking about a preacher. But I do think we need to all think about who is present when we have these discussions.

So my question for my critics today is: Would you like the names of other relatives so you can contact them all to tell them how ungodly I am?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Most boomers are smarter than u think. They can actually run a computer and read and THINK!!!! I know you and K do not like anonymous comments but that is the only way to keep from having personal attacks come from other comment posters. Some younger people can not resist attacks and can not stick to the subject. I guess they just do not get it and do not understand BLOGS

donnag said...

I assume you are a boomer. I further assume that this comment is really regarding the previous post rather than the one to which you actually commented. And I further assume that the post – or a combination of all the posts you have just discovered – has offended you in some way. Of course, I probably should not assume. You know what they say about assuming. But you have obviously made a couple of assumptions. You assume that Kevin and I have the same opinions about everything. Since I have never commented on anonymous comments, you are assuming that I would feel the same way as Kevin. Such an assumption indicates that you don’t know either of us very well.

You are obviously concerned about my thoughts. Perhaps concerned because I don’t post or comment the way you think a clergy should. Sorry to disappoint you. Perhaps instead of jumping to conclusions and making assumptions, you should try to get to know me.