Friday, February 29, 2008

Where's the flame?

If you were to read the Moody UMC newsletter this week, you would see an article about fanning the flames. Earlier this week, the author of that article shared his planned topic. We discussed his impression that some people wonder if the flame of the Holy Spirit is burning as brightly as it should. He shared that was reminded of what Paul tells Timothy when he says, “I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of My hands. For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline” (2 Timothy 2:6-7).

Our conversation noted that the flames of the church depend on the people fanning its flames by praying for the different ministries of the church, by participating in the ministries, by giving to the ministry budget of the church, and by giving ourselves in service to the church. Rather than complaining when it seems like the flame is not as bright or passion is lacking, we need to look at what we are personally doing to keep the flames blazing.

The next morning when I was driving to work and saw the Eternal Flame of Freedom monument on the corner of 20th Street and Park Place North on the edge of Linn Park, I immediately called to point out how this fit our discussion. What does it say when the eternal flame is out of order? Doesn't eternal mean everlasting, never-ending? Doesn't it mean that the flame will never burn out? But the monument sits flameless with an "out of order" sign.

Why? I have heard or read several explanations. One is that someone keeps stealing the gas canister. That made me think that we often let others steal our flame. We listen to negative ideas. We let others distract us from the source of our flame. Although stealing the gas canister makes for a good analogy, I am not sure that explanation is correct. Alagasco supplies a gas feed to the monument. I have always understood that to be an in-ground line of natural gas - not propane tank.

Another explanation is that a faulty part needs to be replaced and there is a dispute about who is supposed to order the part and who is responsible for making the repairs. Apparently Jefferson County says it is the City of Birmingham's responsibility and the city points to the county for maintenance of the monument. A veteran's group is reported to have agreed to replace the faulty part. This reminds me that we often look to someone else to maintain or restore the flame, instead of stepping up and taking some responsibility.

But while I sit here and think of how the lack of flame on the monument of eternal flame was a great way to start an article encouraging people to fan the flame, I think how sad it is that I pass that flame at least twice a day and I cannot tell you when the flame went out. I have read that the flame has been extinguished "for years" or that it was flameless four years ago. But I think I have seen a flame more recently than that. I've read about a marine who sat vigil protesting the lack of flame. How did I miss that? Now, I do recall seeing someone sitting out there within the past several weeks and seeing news crews, but I did not really know what was going on. I have seen repair crews out by the flame. I even saw a flame there this week, but it has since been extinguished and the "out of order" sign is still there.

So a news story has been going on right under my nose - or 11 floors below my office - and I have overlooked it. Perhaps that is how the flame of passion goes out. We are too busy to notice if it is burning or not until it is completely out and it becomes a news item. Whether it is the flame of passion for our church or whether it is the passion of a relationship, we must be deliberate in fanning the flame. If we become too busy to pay attention, we will lose touch with friends; we will lose the excitement of our participation in church; we will shut down our communication with those we love; we will drift away from our partner; our passion will be lost.

Where is the flame? And whose fault is it if it goes out? The flame is ours to keep.

No comments: