Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Who Do You Trust?

A very troublesome thing to have someone at church tell you to be careful who you trust in the church. Although I have known this is true, it is sad to hear it. But what may be equally sad is that when someone said they had only a select few that they trusted, my initial thought was that I trusted no one. Not just no one at the church. No one.

Someone in my law office asked me a question today. They said it was kind of awkward, but I was the only person they could trust to ask. And I wondered who at the office I would trust. Depending on the situation, with most things, I would trust that person. But in reality, there is no one at the office I would trust with everything. No one.

This thought has occurred to me before. If I ever had to have medical tests, who would I trust to be there as I came out of anesthesia? Who could hear what I might say in that twilight zone when you are under the truth serum? No one?

Don't get me wrong. I have some very good friends who know some good secrets. I have a great family with whom I would trust my life. But over the years, I have become very selective about who I would truly trust.

Some people I trust with my secrets, but I don't always trust that they are being truthful with me. I have a very good friend - someone I often describe as my best friend. I have told him some of my most personal things. I don't worry that he will share these with anyone else. But I often feel that he tells me what he thinks I want to hear about his life instead of being honest. I cannot figure out why he would feel he needs to do this. But I just sense he is not always being honest.

Some people I trust are being honest with me, but I would not want them to know everything about me. I would not want them to know some of my shortcomings. I would not want to disappoint them. Or I just would not want them to know extremely personal things.

So ask yourself today - who do you trust?

No comments: